Water and small electrical appliances don’t mix very well. I discovered this years ago when I jumped into a pool while still wearing a non water-resistant watch. More recently I was reminded of that fact when I accidentally put my cell phone through the washer and dryer. …yeah, wouldn’t recommend it.
Being a naturally curious fix-it guy, I decided to take the phone apart and see if I couldn’t revive it. I busted out my handy precision screwdriver set and went to town on the phone. I took it completely apart and let it dry out for a couple days. I put it back together hoping against hope that it would work, pushed the power button and… nothing happened. “Oh well,” I thought, “At least I tried.”
Later that day it occurred to me, “Ya know, maybe it’s just the battery,” so I plugged the charger into it (halfway hoping it wouldn’t completely fry the thing) and much to my surprise, the screen lit up like normal and said “charging battery!” What do ya know, the phone worked just fine after that.
So last weekend a friend of mine said her phone died because she dropped it in a glass of water. …brilliant.
As of today I am 2 & 0 for fixing drowned cell phones! Go me! =D So, next time you decide to take your phone for a swim, but sure to have your precision screwdrivers handy. These little puppies are a life saver! I might even say they are on par with Duct Tape. …now that’s huge.